For New Players
Some fair warnings in advance. As we’re aiming at more of an old-school feel, there are some points I’d like to rattle off, hoping it’ll stick:
- You will probably die at some point. Possibly repeatedly. That’s OK, rolling up a new character is pretty fast. Don’t take it to heart.
- This is a game of exploration, not combat – you get much more experience from gathering treasure than from killing things. It often pays to avoid a fight when you can.
- This is also a game of wits – the environment is often a puzzle, and often something you can use to your advantage during combat.
- And it’s also a game of resource management. Make sure you’ve got enough water, rations, and torches to get where you’re going and come back alive.
- All that goofy stuff like 10ft poles, spikes, and mirrors is on the equipment list for a reason. Mirrors are useful for looking around corners, poles are great for poking things from a distance, and spikes can hold doors open or closed.
- All that stuff weighs a ton, too. Make sure you Don’t carry too much, or you won’t be able to move very quickly.
- Please tell me somebody bought some rope. Never go anywhere without rope.
- Somebody needs to make a map. If you don’t, You’ll get lost underground and die cold, lonely, and afraid.